Minus icon Plus icon Plus icon Print Icon

Marriage Licence Applications

Couples wishing to be married in Ontario must apply for a Marriage Licence. The licence is valid anywhere in Ontario.

To book an appointment or for more information on how to obtain a marriage licence at the Town of LaSalle, please contact the Clerk's Department by calling the Town of LaSalle at 519-969-7770. Licences are normally issued on the spot.  However, it may take up to 24 hours to receive your licence. Please see below for the information needed to obtain a marriage licence. All original identification will be returned to you.

Marriage Licence Fee

  • $125.00 Cash or Debit only.

Application Requirements

  • Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, or written parental consent of both parents is required for 16 and 17 year olds.
  • The Marriage Licence Application must be completed and signed by both parties to the marriage.
  • Both parties are encouraged to attend Town Hall.  However, one party to the marriage may submit the completed application form in order to obtain the Marriage Licence, provided the proper identification and original documents are submitted in place of the absent party. 

Identification Required

Bring two (2) pieces of valid and original identification from the list below for each person. One piece of identification must include your photo.

With Photo

  • Valid Passport                                                        
  • Valid Permanent Residency Card
  • Driver's Licence
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian Armed Forces I.D. Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Nexus Card

Without Photo

  • Birth Certificate
  • Change of Name Certificate
  • Canadian Immigration Status Papers (i.e Record of Landing, Work Visa)

Photocopies of identification are not accepted. You must have documents not in English translated by a certified translator. If you do not understand or read English, you must provide an interpreter and he/she will be required to show identification.

Applicants Divorced or Annulment within Canada

Applicants who have been divorced within Canada are required to produce either the original or a court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce. Original or certified copies are available from the courthouse in the city in which the divorce was granted.

Applicants Divorced or Annulment outside of Canada

Foreign Divorce Kit 

An applicant whose former marriage was dissolved or annulled in a country other than Canada must obtain authorization from the Minister of Consumer & Commercial Relations before a Marriage Licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit the information below to the: Office of the Registrar General, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON, P7B 6L8. 

  1. A completed Marriage Licence application signed by both applicants.
  2. A copy of the Decree(s) of divorce or Annulment (certified by the proper Court Officer).  When the decree is a language other than English or French, you must obtain a certified translation.
  3. A statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants.
  4. A legal opinion of an Ontario Solicitor, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

Publication of Banns

Inquire with your clergyman if you need to obtain a Marriage Licence.

Marriage Licence Validity

A Marriage Licence issued by the Town of LaSalle is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue. 

Obtaining a Marriage Certificate

Once a Marriage Licence is issued, the ceremony can take place. After the marriage ceremony, the couple will receive a Record of Solemnization of Marriage. This is not a Marriage Certificate. The person who solemnizes the marriage forwards documentation to the Office of the Registrar General for registration. Visit the Service Ontario website to apply online for a Marriage Certificate.