Municipal Complaints & Compliments
We encourage early resolution of complaints in all circumstances. We recommend you first talk directly to the service area or department where you have an issue. You may do so in person, by telephone, by email or in writing. Most complaints are received verbally and can be resolved promptly by the department in charge of the service.
The Town of LaSalle also encourages citizens to submit a compliment for a municipal service, staff member, program or process via the Municipal Complaint and Compliment form.
Submitting a Complaint
Definition of "Complaint"
A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction related to a municipal program, service, facility, staff member or volunteer, where a citizen believes that the municipality has not provided a service experience to the customer's satisfaction at the point of service delivery and a response or resolution is expected. A general complaint may be received verbally, by phone, by email or in writing. Anonymous complaints will not be addressed.
The Complaint and Compliment Form does not apply to complaints regarding:
- A decision of Council or a decision of a committee of Council;
- Internal employee complaints;
- Matters addressed by legislation or an existing municipal by-law;
- Matters that are handled by tribunals, courts of law, quasi-judicial boards etc.
This Municipal Complaint and Compliment form should not be used for the following:
- A request for service made on behalf of a citizen for a specific service, or to notify the municipality that a scheduled service was not provided on time. (Examples of a Request for Service: reporting a burnt out street light, snow removal, trail system, tree trimming, reporting a by-law violation etc.);
- A general inquiry or specific request for information regarding a municipal service;
- An opinion or feedback, comment and expression of interest in a program or service process;
- A suggestion or idea submitted by a customer with the aim of improving services, programs or processes.
How to submit a Complaint?
The Town of LaSalle has a Municipal Complaint Policy for receiving and handling complaints from citizens who are dissatisfied with service, actions or lack of action by a Town of LaSalle department or staff member.
Step 1: Speak with us
Speak with a Town of LaSalle staff member in the appropriate department about your concern. We want to make things right and will help try to resolve your complaint at first point of contact.
Step 2: Escalate your complaint
If you are unsatisfied with the results from speaking with us and wish to escalate your concern, a Municipal Complaint and Compliment Form must be submitted and will be received by the appropriate department who can action your complaint. A tracking number will be assigned and your complaint will be directed to the appropriate department if needed. If you do not have access to a computer a paper copy of the Municipal Complaint and Compliment form will be available at the Reception Desk at the Town of LaSalle Civic Centre or at the front desk of Vollmer Culture and Recreation Complex.
Summary of Complaint
In the Description section of the Municipal Complaint and Compliment Form, please record information of what happened, who was involved, dates, and times. Be as detailed as possible.
Step 3: Contact the Ombudsman's Office
If you are still unhappy with the results after going through Step 1 and Step 2, you may contact the Ombudsman's office directly for external review.
All complaints will be dealt with in a confidential manner according to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Information will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with the Act.