Did you know that most house fires occur during the night, giving people little time to react? Be prepared and be safe!

Causes of Fires at Home

  • Careless smoking
  • Improperly installed or improperly maintained wood stoves
  • Faulty wiring
  • Careless use of cooking equipment and flammable liquids
  • Unattended candles

Preventing Fires at Home

What to do if a Fire Occurs in Your Home

  • Stay low since smoke rises, leaving air at floor level
  • Do not open doors or windows that indicate signs of heat or smoke
  • If your clothing catches on fire: stop, drop and roll
  • Once you are safe, call 9-1-1 from the nearest phone
  • Do not re-enter the building

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide build up in your home

Detectors not only provide a life saving warning, they are the law in Ontario.

Detectors should be:

  • Placed outside bedrooms and on every level.
  • Installed and maintained by building owners.
  • Tested regularly
  • Connected to continuous power supply, such as back-up battery, in case of power outage. 

To protect yourself and your family you can ensure that:

  • All fuel burning appliances are inspected, CO Alarm photo cleaned and installed by CO Alarm photoqualified repair personnel
  • The furnace area has an adequate supply of fresh air
  • You never leave your car running in the garage
  • You have a few windows open at night just a crack to circulate the fresh air
  • A carbon monoxide detector is installed in your home.