Minus icon Plus icon Plus icon Print Icon

Administrative Monetary Penalty System - Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Administrative Penalty?

Administrative Penalties (AMPS) are a way to deal with minor parking and by-law infractions. This system has been adopted by many municipalities, the province and the federal government.

How are Penalty Notices issued?

A penalty notice for a parking violation is affixed to the motor vehicle at the time of the contravention. Penalty notices for all by-law infractions are affixed in a conspicuous place at the address of the violation and/or delivered by prepaid Canada Post mail to the registered owner within a reasonable period.

What happens when a Penalty Notice is issued?

A person will have 15 days to either pay the penalty or request a review of the penalty by a Screening Officer. There is no fee for the review of a penalty notice.

What if I am not satisfied with the result of the Screening Officer Decision?

If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Screening Officer, you may request a review of the penalty by a Hearing Officer by filling out the Request for Hearing form.

What if I am not satisfied with the result of the Hearing Officer Decision?

The decision of the Hearing Officer is final and cannot be appealed.

Can I Authorize someone else to act on my behalf?

Anyone can make payment on your behalf as long as they have your Penalty Notice.

An authorized representative may attend a hearing review provided that they are authorized by the registered owner of the vehicle or property.

What happens if I ignore the Penalty Notice?

After 15 days, failure to pay a Penalty results in additional administrative fees. For parking penalties, after 30 days unpaid notices will be sent to the Service Ontario/Ministry of Transportation who will deny the renewal of existing plates, or the issuance of new vehicle plates until the debt is paid. For all other by-law infractions, after 30 days any unpaid notices will be sent to the municipal treasurer and will be added to the property as taxes.

How Can I pay a Penalty Notice?

  1. In person - by cash, cheque or debit at:
    5950 Malden Road
    LaSalle, Ontario
    N9H 1S4
  2. Online
  3. By mail (a cheque can be sent) to the Town of LaSalle.

Note: penalties cannot be paid online or in person within 2 days of issuance.

Will an Officer be able to accept payment of the penalty?

No, the Officer issuing the Penalty Notice will not accept payment of the penalty.

Where can I find a copy of the By-Law?

The Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS) by-law is available online on our frequently used by-laws page.

By-Law 8289 - Administrative Monetary Penalty System

For more information, please contact:

Town of LaSalle
5950 Malden Road
LaSalle, ON  N9H 1S4

Phone: 519-969-7770 ext. 1262
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.